Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Thread: oil light is on in a 1990 240sx

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13 240sx

oil light is on in a 1990 240sx

hey i just bought a 90 240sx and the oil light is on. i checked the oil and it was way overfilled so i drained almost 2 qrts out of if and its stilll on.. any other things i should check out? any help would be great.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    72' 510, 89' hatch
    That light does not indicate if you have sufficient oil in your car, it is the oil pressure light. If the dipstick shows a full oil level, then low oil obviously isn't your problem. The oil pressure may be low because of broken oil pump, a plugged oil pickup, plugged oil filter, or excessive bearing wear.

No offense, but you don't sound like you know enough to start digging at your problem. I would say do an oil change and change the filter while your at it. If the problem still remains, I would get some help from somebody else.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    72' 510, 89' hatch
    Oh, i forgot to add, do not drive your car at all! You don't want to develop a knock. good luck!

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    S15, R33 GTR
    if they put in 2 more quarts of oil.
    Who knows what else they messed up, they were probably blazed beyond belief.

Vehicle
    VQvia
    Infractions
    0/1 (0)
    Does the engine make any noise? How does it run? Is there a problem other then the light that you can hear?

If you're really unsure if your getting oil pressure you can do a few tests, one would be pulling the valve cover off, disconnect the coil and/or spark plug wires and see crank it over. You should see oil coming up through the lifters.

The oil pressure sender unit itself is one of the first things to leak one ka's and have a few issues. Everytime I pull the clip and wire off one it's always got oil in it, so it could cause a ground out issue and turn the light on.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13 240sx
    i understand that the oil light would not come on with to much oil but i was asking is would that make my oil pump go out? or blow any seals which would make my oil pressure low. also the guy i bought it from decided to change out the valve cover gasket and ever since he put it together it had a super low idle and he checked the oil and none read on the dipstick so he took it to jiffy lube and the over filled it.. could have he messes something up under the valve cover??