Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Thread: speedo and tach not working in my 1992 with a RB20DET swap in it

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    92 240sx Coupe

Icon5 speedo and tach not working in my 1992 with a RB20DET swap in it

first off id like to say im new to the nissan community and recently purchased my first nissan which is a 1992 240sx coupe with a RB20DET motor swap in it and it has some wiring issues. it had a digital HUD for the speedo but it is not currently working and neither is the tachometer. the fuel and temp guages and clock work fine. i would appreciate any help i could get cause id rather not have to deal with any speedin tickets for not knowing how fast im going. i dont have much money but need to get it fixed for leasdt amount of money. ill admit i dont know much but if u could explain what to look for or possibilities that could be the problem that i could look for on my own to save me money that would be great. taking to a shop would be a last resort due to me not having much money. thanks and hope you all are enjoying ur summer

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    92 240sx Coupe
    been researching around looking for possible causes of this and seen posts of other people with similar problems and isnt helping and just to clear things up this is not a problem with the hud not lighting up. it lights up fine it just says 0mph all the time while driving. and the tachometer doesnt budge.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    92 240sx Coupe
    forgot to mention odometer doesnt work either. also i checked fuses and all seem to be ok besides the cig lighter fuse which i replaced and now have a functioning cig lighter. its nice to be able to charge things now.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    1991 RHD RB25DET S13 Hatch
    ya this is matt huh. speedo is most likly the cable or what gauge cluter you have? you need a skyline one cuz 240sx clusters are electronic and for the rpm gauge im not sure, look behind your cluster and check that everythings plugged in on the cluster and if u see any cut wires on that harness i have an extra cluster harness

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    S13 240sx
    also too it could be the difference between a dual cam tach and a single cam tach. on my sr swap i had to replace my single cam tack with a dual in order to get it to work. you might be having a similer pproblem

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    90 240sx coupe
    tach is most likely a single cam cluster, what does it redline at? and your speedo is most likely the speed sensor, crawl under the car and see if its plugged it, should be on the passenger side near the back of the trans i belive

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Twin Turbo
    As far as the speedo goes DriftRB25dets13 is on the right track. S13's use an electronic speed sensor in the transmission and therefore an electonic speedometer guage. R32 GTS-Ts with the RB20 use a cable style speedometer sensor with a cable diven speedometer guage. Your odometer on both models also driven by the speedometer sensor. I know bassed off personal experiance that the KA24DE electronic speedometer senser will fit in the RB20 transmission and your speedometer will be correct. This is all bassed off a NON HUD combination meter. *Might** be different with HUD but i highly doubt it since its using the same sensor, just displaying the speed differently. If HUD speedometer says your going 35mph and analog speedomter says your going 35mph, are you going 35mph?

As far as your Tach goes, it is also electronically controlled and gets its signal from the ECU. The ECU gets a signal from the Crank posision sensor and it inturn calculated the engines RPM. When you do get it to work it will NOT read correctly though. Since its an S13 combination meter its calibrated for a 4 cyl. All you need to do is get ahold of a GTS-T clutster and disassemble it, remove the actual tach guage face (thin plastic), then swap with the S13's. I can take a pic if needed to show the noticable difference as the GTS-S guages are grey where S13 are black.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Twin Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywhine View Post
    As far as the speedo goes DriftRB25dets13 is on the right track. S13's use an electronic speed sensor in the transmission and therefore an electonic speedometer guage. R32 GTS-Ts with the RB20 use a cable style speedometer sensor with a cable diven speedometer guage. Your odometer on both models also driven by the speedometer sensor. I know bassed off personal experiance that the KA24DE electronic speedometer senser will fit in the RB20 transmission and your speedometer will be correct. This is all bassed off a NON HUD combination meter. *Might** be different with HUD but i highly doubt it since its using the same sensor, just displaying the speed differently. If HUD speedometer says your going 35mph and analog speedomter says your going 35mph, are you going 35mph?

As far as your Tach goes, it is also electronically controlled and gets its signal from the ECU. The ECU gets a signal from the Crank posision sensor and it inturn calculates the engines RPM and tells the tach what to do. When you do get it to work it will NOT read correctly though. Since its an S13 combination meter its designed for a 4 cyl. All you need to do is get ahold of a GTS-T clutster and disassemble it, remove the actual tach guage face (thin plastic), then swap with the S13's. I can take a pic if needed to show the noticable difference as the GTS-S guages are grey where S13 are black.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    92 240sx Coupe
    sorry took so long to get back to this but thx everyone for the info. i got under the car and noticed that alot of things are cut/missing. the speedo sensor does not exist, my O2 sensor is cut and so is another sensor coming off the tranny close by the speedo sensor. so u said the KA speedo sensor would work on the RB20 tranny?