Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Thread: CA18DET Rough Idle

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    RPS13

CA18DET Rough Idle

Ok, so this has been recently happening for some reason which I am clueless towards. So, start up my car a week ago, ran fine when it was cold, but then as I drove it started sputtering and acting up. I got slow power and it barely wanted to climb. Boost gauge was reading fine also, showing I was gaining boost and everything, so I don't think it's turbo related.

Now I start my car today, drive it shortly over to a place, then start it up again, this time being it's already warmed up when I start it. It does the sputtering on start up.

So, now, question is, what is causing it? Keep in mind, this is not my daily driver, so it does sit from time to time, about a week or so. Checked all my vacuum lines and they seem to be in place, especially the charcoal canister line which I know makes the car sputter if it is disconnected. Checked the fuel injector connections as well. Maybe bad gas? But, reading on google, it says that gas can go bad after about 6 months, which my car has not sat on the same tank for 6 months.

Also, when just revving, it sputters, but somewhat easily revs fast and capable of revving high (only revved it to 4k since I didn't want to screw anything up).

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    72' 510, 89' hatch
    check your mafs? hot wires may be dirty, clean those bad boys. sounds like the exact same problem i had with my sr right when i got it running.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    1978 Datsun 280Z
    could be your coolant temp sensor too fyi... on some cars, it can cause the ecu to think the engine is running very cold. when cold, engines require a lot more fuel than they do after being warmed up. if the ecu thinks it's too cold, it'll tell the injectors to put more fuel into the cylinders, causing them to flood out. my z32 had an intermittent no start condition because of that...

not saying that's what's going on with your car, but you might look into it. try cleaning your maf first (although people seem to think that causes all sorts of random problems...) but if it runs fine when it's cold, then that may not be the issue.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    RPS13
    ^ Oh damn, good call. Last time I was at the track I overheated my car because my heater hose busted. So, you think my temp sensor got destroyed in that process?

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    1978 Datsun 280Z
    could be that, or just the connector is corroded. check that, and the other guy's idea too. you may have two, one for the gauge and one for the ecu, check both.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    RPS13
    It was the maf being dirty, hahaha. Thanks for the help guys.