Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Thread: Fuel pump not priming

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13 hatch

Fuel pump not priming

So I had my first encounter with a wall the other day at western and when I hit, the engine harness going under the passenger fender got pinched and the wires were stripped. A bunch were touching and I blew the engine control fuse, ign switch, light control fuse and tail light fuse. I replaced them and fixed the stripped wires, but when I go to start the car my fuel pump isn't priming at all. The fuel pump fuse isn't blown, but it's getting power. The EGI relay is as well but there's no power going to the pump and my gauge says my tank is below E. I'm guessing that means there's no power going to the sending unit either. I've examined the harness from the ECU, to the ignitor, up to where the three plugs connect to the fuse box. I'm pretty confused as to why my taillight and light control fuses blew as well.

So where should I look? It's an s13 redtop sr. I'm getting a lot of mixed results when I look up which wire is for the fuel pump... but even then, I'm not sure that would solve my problem if I followed that wire.

Any help is extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13 hatch
    Alright so I ripped apart my interior and followed the wires. The ground to the rear wiper motor had melted and had exposed wire, but at worst it was sticking to another nearby wire- not enough to cause any shorts I would think.

I'm at a complete loss here.

Tail lights(but not brake lights) and gauge cluster lights aren't working. Fuel pump isn't working. As far as I have seen all the wiring looks like it shouldn't be too problematic, less the wiper motor ground. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm just trying to stir up some thoughts here...

Like I said, I'm at a loss here. Maybe I will pull the pump out and check the wires, but since I'm not getting power at the plug I doubt I'll see anything wrong.

Vehicle
    RPS13 w/ blktop
    Blog Entries
    are you 100% sure your pump works?

have you check the resistance of all the wires that broke? Are you sure there isnt another break down the line? These are 20 year old wires after all

RIP Ron Tucker (NOSdrgster) 1944-2010, Gone but never forgotten

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13 hatch
    Yes, I stuck a 12v current to the black/yellow wire just for a second and the pump started priming. I tested the current between the pump wire(black/pink) at the ECU and the pump fuse and there are no breaks.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    72' 510, 89' hatch
    I believe on s13 the fuel pump wire under the fender was the purple one, on the driver side. I may be wrong, It was a while ago when i had a similar prob.

well, driver side for a US car anyway.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13 hatch
    I think you mean the passenger side? I followed the black/purple wire to the fuel pump fuse, and it's live.

I managed to trip the pump from the engine bay by connecting a 12v current to a black/yellow wire that I'm guessing goes all the way back to the pump. There's no resistance in the wire, but there's no current. However the relay is live. And this is where I get incredibly confused. How can it have 12v and no broken wires but the pump still won't run? Tested the relay, relay is fine.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm almost there

Vehicle
    RPS13 w/ blktop
    Blog Entries
    there should be resistance in the wire... if there is none, you have no connection

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13 hatch
    Sorry, worded that wrong. There is resistance in the wire. I've tested the connections in the pump circuit probably a dozen times and they all come out good, but when I put the key to ON, I'm not getting any current at the black/yellow wire or black/pink wire despite the circuit being good. A bad ground could cause this I'm thinking?

Vehicle
    94 G20
    Check the safety clutch relay in the hood by the battery, on the passenger side fender. Mine went out on me, and i couldn't hear my fuel pump prime.

Unless you removed it so you don't have to press in the clutch to start the car.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/1991-1994...l-t249966.html
    Last edited by Phamlee; 11-10-2010 at 03:41 PM. Reason: found website

Vehicle
    RPS13 w/ blktop
    Blog Entries
    I'd check your relays before a ground. Unless you have no ground... but then the circuit wont get completed.