Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a WA Cop

Vehicle
    95 blue s14:92 s13 pink vert
    Quote Originally Posted by soundline View Post
    I've ticketed people for it. I've also had to pick up severed heads of people that I knew because they had them on. Sorry bro, you're wrong. And you're wrong again about a cage. You can have it just fine as long as it doesn't obstruct your view. So stick with a four point cage for a street car. And Jeeps and Miata's are different because they come with them from the factory. There are special edition street cars that have 6 or even 8 point roll cages in them. If that's the case then I can't ticket you, but if you have crazy bars all over the place, you'll get cited or possibly have your registration suspended. If you drive your car on a suspended registration, it's subject to civil forfeiture.
    This almost sounds like US laws are picking & choosing when what they want to be legal & not legal. I mean c'mon, stock factory Jeep Wranglers have roll cages, but if a 240 wants a cage it is illegal? Really? I don't need BIG BROTHER telling me what I can & can not do in my car that I paid for

Quote Originally Posted by soundline View Post
    When I was 19 I had a Ford F-150 with a lift on it, don't hold it against me, it's what I drove. Anyhow it was stock with a winch bumper and I was driving around at about 10pm going to go bowling. Next thing I know I'm surrounded by 6 cops, I get snatched up out of the truck and thrown to the ground. I had a shotgun barrel in my face while they handcuffed me and searched my truck. I was there for almost an hour getting questioned about where I was and all of this. They did a show up and had me stand on the street corner so someone in the back of a police cruiser could check me out. They said I wasn't the guy that robbed their gas station and the cops let me go, dusted me off and apologized for wasting my time and then left. I had asphalt rash on my face from having it ground into the street.

This kind of stuff happens. I still dunno what they were looking for or why, but it's just part of the game I guess. I try not to do that, since it happened to me and it sucked.
    Yeah, this is the kind of police work that pisses me off, I am not saying you do this. But I personally know several people who have had been beaten up like this by the police. If you have ever known anyone that has been beaten up by the police, it seriously looks like they just got beat up by a bunch of thugs, not people that are suppose to protect you. & it outrages me how people in our society don't stand up for themselves & their fellow man, especially when stuff like this happens to our friends, family, & neighbors. I am a man of faith & I believe in god, heaven, & hell, & I know I need to be more forgiving, but I hope all those bad officers(not the good ones) that beat the sh!t out of people get @ss raped in hell-chad

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13 hatch
    i wish this thread would just die already -__-

also

Talex, every time i come across something posted by you on here or in any other thread, I agree with it 100%. who are you and why arent we best friends.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13 hatch
    how do you become a cop?

5. 04-11-2012, 03:15 PM
    Reason
    dumb

Vehicle
    RPS13 w/ blktop
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecheckered View Post
    how do you become a cop?
    usually through a state training program.

http://policelink.monster.com/conten...demy-directory

it's amazing what google can find

RIP Ron Tucker (NOSdrgster) 1944-2010, Gone but never forgotten

Vehicle
    S13
    I'm waiting to turn 21, so I can apply to be one.
    http://www.northwestnissans.com/banner/NWN%20Sponsors.jpg

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    2006 Evo MR
    Wow I didn't know Washington State had such strict laws concerning cars. In my home state of Florida if its got wheels and drives go for it.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    SR20DET MG Midget
    Soundline,

Like many, I appreciate your work. You guys don't get paid that much for the danger you get put in dealing with the people
    you deal with. There is alot of trash in WA and sometimes it amazes me the harsh treatment the driver of a tuner car will recieve while
    you'll watch an illegal with a rap sheet a mile long promise the judge he won't DUI with no license insurance registration with drugs on him
    anymore and get his fine reduced to $50 and jail waived.
    I've been out of the scene for many years and only have remaining my track only car(in my sig) gathering dust in the garage.
    I am very knowledgable of the EPA and FMVSS standards so I have some disagreement with the illegality of engine swaps. California
    and the feds even recently adknowledged the swap process as ok retaining like mfr's engines in cars....like Infinity/Nissan, Toyota/lexus, Honda/Acura. This was difficult for california to deal with because it involved the inspection station people actually having to understand the routing and working of the EGR and carbon canister circuits of emissions systems. The engines are imported legally under EPA exemption being for light duty cars and trucks(only some diesels have additional requirements) subject to state requirements for proper tailpipe and correct underhood emissions. I'm cool with that.
    I'm aware that the state legislation has expanded to include FMVSS requirements in the states vehicle safety requirements, but the application of the FMVSS regulations(200+ of them) applies to vehicle manufacturers and those performing services to vehicles. To the individual performing their own work only basic state safety standards apply(the term "car hobbyist" comes to mind). This means that someone should be able to buy an S13, get their fab tools out and tube frame it, convert it to center drive for arguments sake, install a SR20DET swap, put in a cage with impaling spikes all over inside, and as long as the car has state legal lights horn seatbelts windshield mirrors wipers guages ride height and passes tailpipe and visual emissions there should be no reason for impound or seizure. Doing so is a violation of our individual civil rights. Now if a shop performs the center drive swap, removes an airbag to install a TV screen in the dash, or performs any modification affecting any of those 200+ FMVSS regulations that is illegal and subjects the shop to a fine. If the car "hobbiest" builds six of these such vehicles and flips for them for a profit, that is also illegal. If his center drive pimp mobile nets him a supermodel and they have six kids and he sells the one car along with a disclaimer of it's modifications and lack of meeting FMVSS standards, and buys a minivan nothing is wrong with that. The engine importer should have the SN#'s of the engines filed with customs and also keep them on hand, that is a requirement of dealing in major components of cars. If the #'s were filed and taxes were paid, and it wasn't stolen, there is no reason to seize and crush such a drivetrain unless the owner had been given warning for failing emissions, did not comply, and was still on public roads.
    Where WA is falling short on this entire mess, providing we have agreement on the rest of the subjects above, is providing an avenue for swapped cars to prove their compliance with tailpipe and visual emissions(carbon canister and EGR circuit). Fittings can be added to plumb any engine with EGR and carbon canisters. It is a basic system on most cars, which pulls a vacuum on the crankcase thru a check valve in the valve cover back into the intake to re-burn any blow by and oily air. The carbon canister is placed between the intake and the fuel tank, providing a point for the fuel tank to vent itself without venting raw gas fumes to the atmosphere, and when the engine is running this has a vacuum pulled on it as well. This entire system is a good thing. The vacuum pulled on the crankcase keeps moisture out of the oil and helps prevent oil leaks. The carbon can allows your car to vent tank pressure on a hot day without having fumes escape that could catch fire and are bad for the environment.
    To me, if they are really going to put a foot down on all engine swaps, this stinks of bogus legislation brought to you by lobbyists of washingtons car dealer assoc members. Imagine all the cars that would be in junkyards without JDM engines to revive them. Some of these cars get better mileage and performance than anything you can buy new. Imagine how much money that would mean to basically force all those owners into another car or a new car, and how that much money has the power to corrupt.
    Food for thought.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    180sx
    Why dont you start posting RCW's instead of just blabbering about it. It is better to have it in RCW than hear say, regardless of you being a cop or not. And to write a ticket about obstructing the view, that is going to preference related and will get tossed by the judge. Remember 2+2=4 in court. Science and math runs the show, not, "well I think it blocks the view."

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    SR20DET MG Midget
    The RCW thing is even a mess. They will cite some regs but then you have to reference another one for applicability.
    I understand keeping a lid on things because everyone has cars and it could get out of hand quick if there wasn't a rule set to follow.
    Sadly it seems gov't will be happy when we are all leasing the same white slushbox prius with a GPS controlled location adjusted speed limiter on it and auto-drive. To 1/2 the people they will be happy and can read a book, apply makeup, do their hair, or many of the things you see the brainless wonders doing when they should be driving. For us with a passion for driving, such a car is a prison.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    RPS13
    I come back and this is what I find!? Good 19 page read.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    RIP Z32 300ZX (2008-2012)
    I just spent an entire hour reading this... I would really like to meet up with Soundline and have some 1 on 1 since we're both yakimen, heck I may even know him from my time at yvcc when I got my AA in CJ. I never really followed my career at being a police officer though, I feel I belong on this side of the line, and can be more of a contribute to my friends and help them stay legal. I've only been pulled over once in the 7 years I've been driving imports and I say it's because I keep watch of the laws and modify within those laws requirements and limitations. Though since having lost my 300zx in that accident a couple weeks ago, and am in pursuit of buying a 240sx, here's a question, the CA/SR/RB swaps are illegal, have and probably always will be, is the KA-T illegal?? Never once saw that mentioned in the thread.

Vehicle
    S13
    I'm sure as long as it passes emissions and has a nearly stock exhaust you should be fine.
    http://www.northwestnissans.com/banner/NWN%20Sponsors.jpg

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s10
    Quote Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
    Soundline,

Like many, I appreciate your work. You guys don't get paid that much for the danger you get put in dealing with the people you deal with.
    lol i beg to differ on this part. i know quite a few cops making between 120-170k a year in this state. did some paralegal work for my aunt back in the day helping these guys in divorce proceedings and what not and this one in particular stuck with me. been on the force 10 years, owned 3 houses, 2 harleys, 3 cars (in the 40-60k range), and a pretty sizable boat (20+ footer). not saying that some dont earn it... some being key word. but the whole cops dont make good money is just something the movies used to explain why they went bad and started dealing drugs lol. hell... my step dad was TPD before he died and he was making right around 150k, and that was 10 years ago.

cant say this is the norm, i know base salary is like 55k... but a lot of these guys definitely aint goin hungry is all im saying.

Vehicle
    ZF1
    Regarding bringing in a car from Canada contact a registered importer. Any DOL office can provide you with a list.