Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slammed Navigator - A mobile navigation app for lowered / slammed cars I'm developing

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13

Slammed Navigator - A mobile navigation app for lowered / slammed cars I'm developing

Hey guys, well some background information first. I've been here on nwn for a while, originally had a 92 s13, built that from a shell and sold it. Now I have a z33. I'm a software engineer by trade, and in my spare time like to build things. So recently I figured, why not build a mobile app for lowered / slammed cars that allows them to get live directions just like any other navigation software, but also display potholes in the roads they're on, uneven sections of roads, speed bumps, alternate "low friendly" routes, and more.

Road conditions will be user submitted, as there is no database or anything even remotely usable that I can access to determine road conditions out of the box with the app. So that will be something built up over time and average out for accuracy.

You guys can check out the pre-launch page for the app here: http://www.hellaflushdgt.com/

Let me know what you think! Feel free to post any suggestions, feedback, etc!

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Z33
    this is interesting.

you'll have more hits on My350z, good and bad.

it is a good idea, only it seems a bit complicated to make such an interface that shows exactly where the bumps are. the orientation of the display is also important.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13
    Hahah, posted there as well

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    89' s13 240sx(Coupe)
    If it actually gets updated and works I would so use that, saves me a perfectly good front bumper that potholes and the shitty road are always trying to claim from me

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    96' S14
    After knocking my charge pipes out of intercooler three times this week, I believe you got my interest haha.

Interesting idea.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    A black S13 (sold) =[
    If you do Portland; you'll see that we have wayy more pot holes and shitty roads then tacoma & Seattle do.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    89' s13 240sx(Coupe)
    come to beaverton... shits getting stupid

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13
    Yeah guys, the more this can get spread around before launch, the more accurate navigation will be as far as listing of road conditions goes.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    RPS13
    Excellent idea; I'm listening. The only thing is, how would anyone submit problematic areas? Would it require exact longitude/latitude? And secondly, submitting would be difficult, as most ppl would want to submit while they are driving, because they just ran over a fat pothole and are pissed off, so stopping and waiting for a submission would be out of the question. Damn this is going to take a lot of programming. Too bad I haven't started my programming classes yet or else I would be more than glad to help :(

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13
    Well, right now to rate a road it takes like 5 seconds. You can rate a road by tapping any road on the map and it pops up a bubble with 2 options (rate road / navigate here) click rate road and it changes the app view to a form with 3 dropdown fields (your car's height, 1-5 rating of the road's crappiness, type of problematic road, as in pothole / speedbump / construction) click submit and it submits in the background and returns to the map

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    RPS13
    Quote Originally Posted by Braydo25 View Post
    Well, right now to rate a road it takes like 5 seconds. You can rate a road by tapping any road on the map and it pops up a bubble with 2 options (rate road / navigate here) click rate road and it changes the app view to a form with 3 dropdown fields (your car's height, 1-5 rating of the road's crappiness, type of problematic road, as in pothole / speedbump / construction) click submit and it submits in the background and returns to the map
    Excellent. Only thing I would recommend would be that you can save your car's height, so you don't have to enter it every time (making it faster to submit too).

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13
    Quote Originally Posted by Izento View Post
    Excellent. Only thing I would recommend would be that you can save your car's height, so you don't have to enter it every time (making it faster to submit too).
    Right right! Yeah, I have that setup as a field in the Settings portion of the app

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Infiniti G20
    I'm a web developer and programmer, if you need some help, or some good beta testing from someone that has a bit of technical knowledge and can write a technical problem report, let me know. My car is about 3-4" off the ground right now, lower at the lip in the front, and once I get my rear adjustable coils rebuilt I'll drop another 1-1.5"

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    95 S14 240SX
    +1 for Portland/Beaverton

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    1995 240sx
    more importantly, i'd LOVE to get a mapping of slammed-ride friendly car washes... here in PDX, as far as i know, the only option are those wash-it-yourself. all others have the conveyer belts which are a lil too high for my ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast