Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1969 Datsun 510 4dr. Sedan- Minty Fresh!

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    1969 Datsun 510 4dr. Sedan

1969 Datsun 510 4dr. Sedan- Minty Fresh!

So this is going to be a compacted version of my current build thread from a forum Im more active on. This build is fairly new with me purchasing the car in January so theres still lots to do to get it exactly where I want it. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to discuss.

This is how I picked it up from the previous owner:

Started working on some small stuff.

Covered the rear seat. It was in great physical condition, but the PO removed the cover to have a new one made but since that didnt happen I had to do something.

Installed some rare GL tail lights. I still have to install the third center piece that goes with these, but the tail light panel in dented in some so it wont sit flush. I also have to remove the license plate lights and move to a bumper mounted version as well. Just havent had time so Im rocking just the two lights:

I installed 280zx hubs, struts, coilovers, and brakes on the car so I could no longer rock the stock steelies as they would not clear the calipers. I didnt want to get rid of the whitewalls just yet, so I picked up a set of Aero Racing rims. They are the only 13's to clear a ZX setup.

Stock height:

Side poke:

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Stock front suspension:

280zx suspension:

How it sat after lowering it with the front coilovers... its at a bit of a rake due to massive rubbing in the rear. The tires are 80sw so they were quite large. The stock springs in the rear were so soft over their 40yrs that I couldnt carry more than 50lbs in the rear or I would rub.

Decided to do something about the soft rear, so I installed a set of Camaro shocks and ST lowering springs. Although shorter than stock, they were far stiffer which resulted in less rubbing.

A quick roll for clearance:

And this is how it sat:

I drove it around like this for quite some time. I enjoyed the hell out of it...

I picked up a rare grille known as a Safari grille and rocked that for a bit:

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Everything was going great and nothing could go wrong... until this happened:

Ironically I was picking up a set of freshly powdercoated rims when my tire decided it no longer wanted to live... I scrambled around for tires for the new rims (as I didnt have any plans to mount them for a bit) and got her back on the road quickly.

New rims and tires installed:

SSR MKIIs in the front (15x7 +10) and SSR MKIIIs in the rear (15x8 +12) with a slight stretch on all four tires.

I picked up an even rarer grille from a friend in Japan. Its a 1973 SSS 1600 grille...

Theres no center console so I needed somewhere to put my drank while cruising so I remembered I picked this up last time I was in Japan:

Added some seat covers to cover up some of the tears in the stock upholstery:

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    How it sits now:

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Well, rummaging through my stuff I remembered that I bought a steering wheel for it, but have no hub to mount it. So now its just a gorgeous paperweight right now. I wish I could scrounge together the cash to pick up a hub, but the funds arent there right now. Ive been thinking of making my own hub at work for a quick fix until I can buy a better one.

That might be a weekend project for tomorrow.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Zenki 240sx
    Looks awesome man.

You've got to find a way to mount that wheel up soon, it looks too good not to

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    BOSS 240 VERT
    I really want to build up something that looks this good. It's such a classic def props on the build. That steering wheel is going to look bad ass man.

Vehicle
    s13
    ratsun forums will have so much good info unless your already on there lol.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor88 View Post
    Looks awesome man.

You've got to find a way to mount that wheel up soon, it looks too good not to
    Yeah, Im saving my pennies to pick up a hub. Ive been thinking about trying to disassemble my current wheel and see if I can machine it down (Im a machinist) to be usable with the new steering wheel. I dont know, we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by kurowuro View Post
    I really want to build up something that looks this good. It's such a classic def props on the build. That steering wheel is going to look bad ass man.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustxking View Post
    ratsun forums will have so much good info unless your already on there lol.
    Thanks guys! Yeah, Im already on Ratsun. I just remembered I was a member here (four years with no posts!) and figured I should throw up a build thread.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Ok, here we go... a little story before the pictures. The door lock pulls were horse shit in my car. They were dry, cracked, sun-bleached white in some places, so I decided to pick up some new ones. I only knew of two places to get them. There were OEM replacements available at a merchant whom most do not do business with and a member on Ratsun who made aluminum ones. Well, I hated the style that were offered on Ratsun (Im sure they were great quality), so I bought them from the other guy.

Needless to say, they sucked. I know he doesnt make them himself, so I really dont fault him, but they felt cheap and crappy, a few barely threaded on... they sucked.

So I decided on a style I wanted and cut my own. I can now call myself a real machinist as I have officially designed the part, set up to machine from scratch, cut the part manually, and finished them myself. All work done by me and I think they came out fantastic. 100% happy with them. I have a bit more bar stock left so Im contemplating making a decent run of them. We shall see what happens, but either way Im loving them so far. Onto the pictures:

OEM piece:

OEM reproduction:

Parts I designed and cut:

Locked:

Unlocked:

Outside in the rain picture:

They are currently a mostly shiny silver from the cutting process, but Im probably going to brush them up to match my sill plates.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    OEM lock pulls for a member on Ratsun:

Column shift knob to match my lock pulls:

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Made a turn signal knob so now everything matches...

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Theres been all sorts of small things going on with it as well. Im headed to the Mitsu/Nissan show in Olympia on the 9th so I figured I should do a little bit of deep cleaning. There was oil and crud everywhere so I fixed the cause of that: an oil pan gasket leak. That was a bitch and a half as you have to either pull the engine or drop the cross-member to get to the pan. Then I busted out the Super Clean and got to work.

I picked up all new engine accessories for a little dress-up... oil cap, radiator cap, battery cables, and I have a freshly powdercoated valve cover and aircleaner on the way from a friend.

Ive also been really busy custom designing some transmission pieces for a one-off swap thats coming up. I need a few more measurements before I can actually CNC them out at work, but Im getting close.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    510, Frontier, and a Cube
    Man I LOVE that Safari grill. Which one is honestly more rare, I see more SSS grills than I ever see the Safaris.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    The safari is more rare. I have another build in mind if I decide to pick up a second 510 and I will be revisiting the safari grille. I do like it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast