Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Thread: RB25DET coil packs

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    S13 240sx convertible

RB25DET coil packs

Need to replace my coil packs in my RB25, and i keep hearing different things from different people as far as what to use.
    im being told OEM by some, LS coils by others, couple have told me to try aftermarket ones.
    so before i purchase anything, i want to hear opinions from you guys, but only if you have some sort of PERSONAL experience with this issue. i dont want any hearsay business.

Im running stock turbo right now at 12psi, and will be running 550cc injectors once i get new coils. my power goal once I purchase a bigger turbo is anywhere from 400-450whp, so I am going to want something for my coil selection that will handle my setup.

Vehicle
    4 door love 32
    Blog Entries
    Depends on which series 25 you have. If its a series one just look at for some rb20 ones, by the brand split fires. You should never have a problem ever again. I had mine for 4 years with no drama at 3.0 dwell up from 2.2 or whatever stock is. They make split fire ones for the series 2 25 but I think they are a bit more expensive. You can get them normally for around the 350 doller mark on line.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    5th gen maxima
    My Maxima hated aftermarket coils, it wouldn't stop throwing check engine lights until I ended up just going to the auto wrecker and picking up an original coil pack for only $75.

Vehicle
    4 door love 32
    Blog Entries
    Rb's won't throw codes. And have probably installed over a hundred into all different styles of Rb's and they love them. Again tho I would go win split fires, tried as true quality.

Vehicle
    4 door love 32
    Blog Entries
    Also make sure you know what series you have. S1 Is the same as rb20 but S2 has the igniter in each coil so it way different.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    rb25det nissan silvia
    i replaced my set coil packs on my series one with splitfire coil pacs for the simple fact they are 20 years old and i had the extra cash, come to find out all my coilpacks where good, it just needed a retune. if you need a set, i have them in a box.

I just bought some split fires for my series 2 rb25 last week. I was thinking the same thing you were wondering which ones to go with. If you have a little bit of extra time you can usually put together some ls coil packs for around 300. I paid 451 shipped for my split fire coil packs that was the cheapest I found them. They got rid of all my problems I was having and they went right in.

Vehicle
    97 240
    Have you cleaned and taped your coil packs? I would do that before giving up on them that said i have some LS coil packs sitting around i intend on swapping out to if all goes well.

how to clean them:
    http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/354220...coilpacks.html

as said before S1 RB25 and RB20 sue same coil packs, S2 not so much. I can't justify the expanse of RB25 coil packs when the LS have much more
    power and are dirt cheap in comparison. I feel this is just JDM tax in action.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    S13 240sx convertible
    its a series 1.
    I like the idea of LS coils, but i also hate the idea. from my understanding, the LS coils do not fit like OEM so i would have to make a bracket for them correct?
    As far a spitfire/splitfire whatever it is, one of you said that you had purchased series 2 coils with the igniter built in, so would i be correct in my thinking that series 1 will be cheaper?

Vehicle
    4 door love 32
    Blog Entries
    Ya usually are. The series 2 because of the ingniter being built in is a bit more expensive I have found when I was a tech at the skyline shop. Coming from experience, I don't like the LS style coil pack because then you have to make a bracket then run ugly spark plug wires to each cylinder, I just think its was way cleaner with a factory style cool pack. And if you can afford the split fire's, they will salve all issues and won't let you down.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    S13 240sx
    Quote Originally Posted by quickwrex View Post
    i replaced my set coil packs on my series one with splitfire coil pacs for the simple fact they are 20 years old and i had the extra cash, come to find out all my coilpacks where good, it just needed a retune. if you need a set, i have them in a box.
    I need them!!!!!!!! Still got them?? Shoot me a pm with a price and where your at

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13 240sx
    Blog Entries
    I currectly run the Rb25det. I converted to thels7 coil packs. The splitfire are close to $500 for the Rb and around $350 for the sr. The ls7 coil pack conversion works well with the series 2 rb25det. When you go to dyno your car; it will be worth it. Also to convert is cost me around $300; so it will be a savings from the splitfires.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    S13 240sx convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by donie2nb View Post
    I currectly run the Rb25det. I converted to thels7 coil packs. The splitfire are close to $500 for the Rb and around $350 for the sr. The ls7 coil pack conversion works well with the series 2 rb25det. When you go to dyno your car; it will be worth it. Also to convert is cost me around $300; so it will be a savings from the splitfires.
    i remember you telling me about those coils, but i personally don't like having the coils sitting on top in a fabbed bracket, also since im series one, the igniter is on the spark plug cover so i just wanna keep that clean look.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    s13 240sx
    Blog Entries
    My bad for cutting in. Ive never seen this conversion done on the series 1. The splitfires will do yo justice

Vehicle
    97 240
    Quote Originally Posted by 200sx_rider View Post
    its a series 1.
    I like the idea of LS coils, but i also hate the idea. from my understanding, the LS coils do not fit like OEM so i would have to make a bracket for them correct?
    As far a spitfire/splitfire whatever it is, one of you said that you had purchased series 2 coils with the igniter built in, so would i be correct in my thinking that series 1 will be cheaper?
    Is the bracket worth $400 to you? that is the difference i see between LS1 and RB25 spitfire coil packs. I can man up a bad ass mounting situation as well as adjusting the dwell for $400.