Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick question about TT Z32

Club Guest

quick question about TT Z32

This may come off as a stupid question, and I apologize in advance if it is. I have a 91 twin turbo Z32, and I noticed I'm not getting any boost in 1st gear until I hit 3000rpm. In all other gears, I can get almost full boost by 3000, so I am wondering if this is normal for 1st gear, or if I should have it looked at. The car is stock, short of the exhaust the previous owner had installed.

u are able to make boost in 1st gear of course

but 1st is too short to reach full boost in
    if u r not making ne boost in 1st then there must be sometin wrong

for a stock TT boost should be comin on at around 2500RPMs and be close to makin full boost at around 3-3500RPMS

i would get ur car looked at if ur not makin ne boost until 3000RPMS

Club Guest
    What i meant is that in 1st gear, I don't make boost until 3000. From 3000 up (in 1st) the boost builds up fast. In all other gears, the boost gauge is almost to full boost by the time i reach 3000, so I was just curious if it's the fact that 1st gear is shorter that makes it so the turbos don't spool till around 3000 when i'm in it.

Turbocharged cars dont hit full boost in first or traction would not exist. If you produced your regular boost in first you would peel out alot easier and it would probably be next to impossible to drive the car in the rain. I remember some WRX owner awhile back complaining about lack of boost in first too. Its something most turbo cars have in common, it has something to do with short gears and the load on the engine. Kinda like the same reason you will never hit full boost revving the engine in neutral.

Club Guest
    OK cool. I was just making sure cause I know that if you don't get boost by 3000rpm, your z32 is running in safety boost mode (it shuts off at 3000rpm). Just wasn't sure if safety boost might work on individual gears, or if it affects all of them, since only 1st acts differently. Thanks for the info

do u have aftermarket boost guage?

cuz im makin boost at 2500RPMS allready
    if ur still using ur stock guage could be that jus that the stcok guage is off
    and it always is off

I think what he is saying is that he has to put the pedal down harder in first gear than he would in any other gear.

Vehicle
    95 300zxTT sold, S2000, NSX
    Boost hits fast on 1st gear one it starts going and your up at redline quick, starts around 2500k or so. Check your ECU codes just in case. What does it list on your boost guage? Remember also stock guage is very inaccuarate. Let me know what comes up.

Club Guest
    When i had an 85 turbo 300zx with boost controller set around 12 lbs, i wouldnt hit full boost in first at all, there wasn't enough load to spool the turbo high enough, however if i reved it a bunch of times in neutrel to get the turbo spining, i would get a little higher boost in first.

I test drove a 90 TT with 3 inch turbo back exaust (helps spool mad fast), jwt ecu and boost jets, k&n, some after market gage. The car had reciepts for both turbos being almost brand new, and it ran perfectly. The car would NOT reach full boost in first gear, not enough load.

Your car is probably fine, if you're really worried about it, have it checked out.... but what you say sounds perfectly normal from my experiance.

Club Guest
    I'm just using the stock boost gauge, and as far as I know my exhaust is cat-back (prev. owner installed it). Doesn't really have much to do with how hard i push on the pedal other than obviously the harder i push the faster it revs up, but it still has to get to around 3000 before it spools in 1st. Before 3000, the boost gauge gets from the -'s to 0 really quick, and it doesn't move into the +'s until around 3000

That sounds normal to me.

Club Guest
    Thanks a ton for the help, guys. I couldn't remember for the life of me if it had always done that or not.
    Last edited by Papa316Smurf; 02-03-2004 at 12:29 AM.

i still dont think thats normal

car should be boosting in the positive at around 2500rpms

my car builds positive boost at that RPM
    and as far i know most TT's do as well on stock twins

But your rolling with a few more mods than him, and hes going by the stock gauge thats showing hes only 500 RPM's behind you.

ya i guess i am

i dun remember when i was stock when i was boosting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast