Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you ever buy a rebuilt car?

huh? Would you ever buy a rebuilt car?

Hey, I just wanted your guys opinions on this.. I've been looking around at a whole bunch of cars lately, and I came across this one ad that caught my attention.. It had everything that I was looking for, like my perfect car since I have been really picky about what to get next.. So I went down there, and found out it was an auto body shop where they buy ICBC write offs and completely fix them up again and sell them to the public..

I know, the first thing you think is that its been in a bad accident, its no good.. But they can only buy cars that the frame hasn't been bent since its not legal to do that.. If they think they are able to fix it up and get it back to the way it was, then they'll buy it.. The car I looked at they already had the ICBC safety inspection already done to it.. It passed with flying colors, and is deemed road worthy..

So the cars had salvage titles, but are now rebuilt to the most it can be done.. This place gives a lifetime warranty on the body work that they do on the car, plus a one year warranty on the car ( power terrain, and you can get a better warranty if you want)

I test drove it, and I got my boyfriend's dad to test drive it and such, and we can't see or notice anything wrong with it at all, and the suspension and everything seems straight and fine.. Oh, and if I was really gonna consider it, I would pay the $120 for the BCAA 150 ( or so) point inspection done to the car so I know what its truly like..

They showed me a pic of the car when they got it, and it really didn't look like a whole lot of damage, I was suprised it was deemed as a write off.. But the frame wasn't bent, but the radiator, hood, headlights, side panel and some other things had to get replaced.. I'm gonna try and go down to ICBC tomorrow and see if I can get any previous history of the car, like what the extent of the damage is, why they decided it was a write off, and other related stuff.. But I dunno if they will release that info to me..

Anyways, long story short, would you even consider getting a car that has been in a major accident, that has been fixed up, and buy it for a lot cheaper? Or would you walk away as soon as you heard it was a write off?

Any comments, stories or whatever are welcome
    Last edited by SportsGal240sx; 04-26-2004 at 02:17 AM.

NWN Club Member Kennysgreen280z's Avatar
    Vehicle
    S30, Audi 80, mk1 Fiesta
    I wouldnt have a problem buying a rebuilt car. If it has passed all the ICBC inspections like you say, has been rebuilt by a reputable body shop, has no visual or structural damage, paint color matches on repaired panels, and doors open/close without a problem. I dont think you will have a problem with the car. Just my $0.02

~Kenny

Vehicle
    72 KA 510 Wagon, 91 Subaru Sambar, 1987 323 GTX
    my 69 is a rebiuld. the whole pass side was smashed into the tranny tunnel.

i would buy the car for a daily driver cause well we all know how many door dings, curbs, various other things we hit or get hit by. so a few dollar less is no worries, but for a race, autox, car i wouldnt consider it, cause you need a structurally sound body to start off wtih. and your gonna be spending tons on mods and rollbars and whatnot soo why would you skimp on the quality of car??

for a drift only vehicle, i wouldnt buy a car that has all panels perfectly in place, untill i had practised extensively.
    2 seater, 4 cylinder, n0 grip

My Photo Album's

SPARCO speed, 17" enkei, GAB, SPL, B&M, Tanabe, Espelir. Aurora, homemade

I have seen these things turned into show cars. I have made daily drivers out of pieces of three cars. The only cars I stay away from are swimmers.

Imo the most important things about this whole situation are the words warantee and guarantee, they say it all.

Go for it.

Vehicle
    Z32 300ZX
    I wouldnt mind either because if its rebuilt and can deliver me to places, it's good enough but i would still check it out with mechanic before diving head first for the purchase

Wow, Im suprised that many of you wouldn't mind one! My parents and my boyfriends parents are against it, just because you dont know if the dealership will completely stand behind their work ( even if it is a lifetime guarantee).

And of course at the end if I wanna sell it, it might be a bitch to sell since some people might not wanna touch a car that has been in a bad accident, even if it has been repaired..

and by the way, no you can't even notice it was in a crash it looks mint.. I mean there are scratches on the body, but it can be easily buffed out.. and it would be used as a daily driver, no drifting Im gonna run a vehicle claims report on it through ICBC right now (http://www.icbc.com/buy_car/vehicle_claims_history.html)

There is a 97-98 240sx at the lot (purple) but they haven't fixed it up, it still has the front damage.. I wonder how much they will sell it for when they fix it up..

Vehicle
    S13 Hatch
    I, personally, just wouldnt feel right driving a car I know was in a major accident. But if the frame is ok, then its game.

Club Guest
    Its a risk you take if the price is right I would do it.If you can get one that hasnt been in an accident for the same price I wouldnt do it.I think later on too it is hard to sell a car thats been in an accident. So I would base it on the price. good luck with whatever you do though

Club Guest
    i think before you buy it, you must get BCAA to do the inspection
    the inspector who pass the safety and structure inspection for the car, can pass it without seeing it. They will just pass it because of money. So double check it will be safe

i myself have a rebuilt 89 coupe for 3 years, nothing wrong at all

Vehicle
    91 s13 240sx
    rebuilds if done right are fine cars. The only reason I would get em is because of the price. Inspection would be key to finding the right car for the right price.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    -Mario Andretti-

Vehicle
    RPS13 w/ blktop
    Blog Entries
    If you know the body shop that did it is a good one then I would see no problem with it.

RIP Ron Tucker (NOSdrgster) 1944-2010, Gone but never forgotten

Vehicle
    nothing
    yea why not. if its cheap

Originally posted by hondabibi

i myself have a rebuilt 89 coupe for 3 years, nothing wrong at all
    Oh really? you didn't have any problems with it, did you do anything in particular before you bought it, other than probably have a mechanic check it out? did you have a lifetime guarantee on the work they did on your car? im just curious

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    98 240sx LE
    i personally would watch out for rebuild since i know someone working for dealerships. Just remember that one day if you decided to resell your car, it ain't gonna be much since you pay less for it, you will get less for it. I personally would recommend taking the car back to it's original dealership(ie. nissan, honda, etc) BCAA generally do a good job since they are liable and they are a big company, but no one knows their car better than the manufacture anyways, do some home work before you buy it. If i remember correctly, ICBC will keep records of the car up to three years or something. As for the accident check from ICBC webpage, it will only tell you the amount of repairs but not where. But it will also tell you whether or not it's out of province. Furthermore, check the odometer, some shady dealers might roll back. If it is a local vancouver car then you can check odometer and vehicle emission readings from aircare.ca. oh yeah, last thing, most warranties or guarantee are useless from dealers since they are very tricky and will try anything to avoid the bullet. But like i said, you get what you pay for and as long as you do your homeworks you will be okay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast