Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Thread: Clutch hydraulic problems

Vehicle
    '90 RHS13 240SX

not cool Clutch hydraulic problems

Where do I start, well like the title says I'm having problems with my clutch.
    Yesterday the pedal was acting a bit funny. I would press the pedal and it would almost go straight to the floor before engaging the clutch. I gave it a few more pumps as to see I wasn't imagining it. well it did the same. So I just bled the system. Then it was fine. alittle on the light side pressure wise but engaging like it did before. I drove it about four miles to my girlfriends house and parked it there till about noon today. (I had a nice Cinco de Mayo). Any who, I drove it back to my house today and it was fine all the way there. I start to drive again and then the pedal almost goes to the floor like last time. I give it a few pumps and its still the same. I go about a mile further. All of a sudden as I take a free right hand turn, the pedal goes straight to the floor this time. I'm stuck in first gear and turned onto a busy street. I yank the gear lever out of gear and immediately get off the busy road. That's what finally did it for me. I want straight home to diagnose the problem.
    It turns out there was a small hole in the rubber boot on the clutch slave cylinder. All the fluid would squeeze through the hole, explains the light pressure/ pedal to the floor. I figure I would swap the slave cylinder with a spare one i had laying around. Simple right, wrong. I swap the two and put everything back. I go to bleed the system, and NO PRESSURE. I put everything in like i took it off, so i figure it would same. I pump it a few more time nada. the fluid in the clutch master cylinder is not even draining when you pump the pedal. I go ahead and inspect the master cylinder and it looked fine. and by inpsect I mean I took it apart to see if anything was broke. I put it back the same way and it still won't pump the fluid out.
    I still get no pressure whatsoever even after pumping the heck out of that bastard. Isn't the fluid from the master cylinder supposed to leak out after you dissattach the rubber hose off the slave cylinder? cuz that's what happend when I took it off the to do the swap.

Well if anyone can help me or have a clue as to what I did wrong, let me know because I'm really stumped on this one. If anyone in the Seattle area want to give me a hand I would aslo appreciate that even more. PM me and I'll give my address. I live in the West Seattle area close to White Center. I will owe you big time if someone comes through and helps my @ss out. Thanks for reading this long post. :9sleep
    Laters

Vehicle
    '90 RHS13 240SX
    No one knows what I did wrong? I think i may have it but please shoot some ideas out. anything will help somehow. laters

Vehicle
    2004 Forester XT
    Infractions
    0/1 (10)
    If you are still running the clutch damper system you may want to bypass that. That thing traps air like no other.

When you swapped slave cylinders did you completely empty the clutch lines and master cylinder of fluid? It sounds like even though the master cylinder is full it is not priming properly....or like above the clutch damper box could be the culprit.

Take off the master cylinder and put some fluid in the reservior and manually pump the actuator rod until fluid starts squirting out the side fitting. Then remount the master cylinder and try bleeding the system again.

Or remove the clutch damper crap. Bend the hardline that goes from the master cylinder to the damper so it attaches to the rubber line that goes to the slave cylinder. A write up can be found here:
    http://www.zeroyon.com/pics/installs...chlinemod.html

Also if you want to run the stainless clutch line (recommended) you can buy one from TAKA Motorsports for $35.

Vehicle
    '90 RHS13 240SX
    Thanks Fraktal. I'll try manually pumping/ priming the master cylinder. If that fails I'll try the bypass method. Thanks again Fraktal. I've tried everything I could think of.
    I'll give it try and let you know how it turns out. laters

Vehicle
    '90 RHS13 240SX
    Well i guess i didn't inspect the master cylinder that well. the rubber suction thingy on the piston inside had little ruffles/waves on it thus no letting enough suction to build pressure.
    two4deesx and Nismo240 came over and we tackled that bastard. well i put a new suction piston in, that i had laying around cuz i didn't put it in the frist time just the spring. and it started building good pressure. and also put back on the original slave cylinder w/o hole in the boot. we bled it and got some pressure back but not all of it. it engages the clutch close to bottom of the pedal travel. i think it still needs more bleeding to hopefully get all the pressure back. nonetheless is back on the road, i have to drive it with care.
    Thanks again Fraktal for the advice/options, and Two4DeeSX for coming over and helping my a$$ out, oh yeah and Nismo240! you guys rock!