Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Thread: Power Steering Fluid for the sr which brand?

Vehicle
    BMW M3

Power Steering Fluid for the sr which brand?

My power steering fluid is leaking out of my power steering pump. I talked to neko punch about sr power steering pumps leaking when you do not use the proper steering fluid, a few weeks ago. Anyways what is a good brand that you sr owners use for the power steering fluid that does make the pump to leak?

let me know cause i just have the generic napa brand and that stuff makes my pump leak : /

In my KA24DE, it requires ATF (auto tranny fluid). Maybe what you put in is too thin.
    S13 KA-T - Built

The KA and SR pump are naturally the same.
    I used to have slight leak at the steering rack. Oil would cake on the rack, causing some disgusting sludge build up on the rack. I switched to Valvoline's High Mileage Steering fluid, which is highly lubricated and contains seal conditioning agent. It is thicker than Nissan's steering fluid, which is essentially Dexron II ATF.

It has stopped the steering rack leak completely. Also, turning the steering wheel at full lock also prevents idle from dropping.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    AE86
    I dont think that the SR requires any type of special fluid. As long as its a hydroulic fluid then it shodul work just fine. Many people use ATF as its a great conditioner for the seals and tends to be a bit thicker than the power steering fluid which translates to better road feal and better leak protection.

If you do some reading on oils and lubricants you will see that in 2004 we have many new products that weren't readily available when our cars where made. There where power steering fliuds then sure, but they have advanced to the point with different additives and leak inhibitors that they are really the way to go now.

Imo any of the name brand steering fluids are fine. Atf is best left in the transmissions now. They are even specialty leak additives available now that will dry up even bad leaks in Power steering and other systems.

In the US there is a product available called "AT 205 Re-seal" it is an additive that is to be used to stop leaks in fluid systems. I have used it and it works, I have friends that are mechanics at both GM dealers and at a Nissan dealership and they all use it in their shops. Its like a trade secret.....I get mine at Napa for $1.95 for 8 oz. And this is not a commercial post, I could care less about the companys success the stuff just works.

NWN Club Member
    Vehicle
    S
    Infractions
    0/0 (1)
    I use Redline Synthetic PS fluid in all my Nissan stuff. ATF in the race car would tend to overheat and breakdown way to quick.

In the user's manual for Nissan vehicles, Dexron III ATF can be used. However, Nissan does sell its own Power Steering Fluid, the PSF 2, that is slightly different from traditional ATF.

In other words, Dexron III can be used as per Nissan's cross referencing guidelines, but the best is to stay with actual PS fluids as per Nissan's guidelines:
    Genuine NISSAN PSF 2 or equivalent
    Genuine NISSAN PSF, Canada NISSAN Automatic Transmission Fluid, Dextron 3 Mercon or equivalent ATF may also be used.
    Last edited by Ahyc84; 11-05-2004 at 11:39 AM.

Club Guest
    atf baby or valvoline synthetic , used in 3 SRs ive helped with and in my CA

Vehicle
    BMW M3
    hah ifgured my leak out, a not so tight banjo bolts. I used LUCAS brand power steering / leak repair fluid. Everything has sealed up nice with zero leak and very linear even steering