Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [the official] ka24det vs sr20det thread

Vehicle
    THE Teal Tiger S13!

[the official] ka24det vs sr20det thread

me and my friend were havin a pretty heated discussion today on which engine is better and he thinks the sr because its what everybody races in d1 and etc hence the drivers would use it because its more efficent and plus its a truck motor(hes a toyota head) and im arguing that if you turbo the ka its gonna put out more power because of being the higher liter engine. so basically what im asking is why would all the d1 drivers use the sr to drift it if the kat was a more efficent and larger engine.

Vehicle
    RPS13 w/ blktop
    Blog Entries
    People use the SR for drifting cause it is a lighter motor and moves the center of gravity back in the car. As for the power issue a KA can have more power than an SR but they are 2 totally different motors. An SR is built for quick response while a KA is built for power hence they used it in trucks.

RIP Ron Tucker (NOSdrgster) 1944-2010, Gone but never forgotten

smaller and lighter the sr is

plus its the stock engine in japan

why wouldnt you use the most widely available engine when you are blowing them up all the time, D1 is basically advertising for cars and parts just like any other racing right, soo the sponsor is trying to make parts forthe car to have more power and sell more upgrades to general public.
    2 seater, 4 cylinder, n0 grip

My Photo Album's

SPARCO speed, 17" enkei, GAB, SPL, B&M, Tanabe, Espelir. Aurora, homemade

Vehicle
    s13 KA-T
    becuz da SR pwns teh KA

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Ferriari
    Also, they use the sr20det in D1 because it is more reliable with there power needs. I have a question, if you took the same setup that is on a stock sr20det, which has 205 to the flywheel i think, how much would that be if placed on a ka24de?

Vehicle
    s13
    i'm not sure what you mean by same "setup".... and you can't possibly be serious about comparing the SR20DET with a KA24DE... a N/A KA engine has got shit all on any motor.

but KAs produce far more power. Larger displacement is one reason for this. yeah they aren't as light but i think the response issue depends more on your parts.

Basically if someone gave you 5 grand and you already had your car, you could build a way more powerful and fun KA than an SR. This is especially true if you don't know how to install an engine and would have to pay someone to install the SR. On the other hand if your budget is around 10 grand, i'd look into a BUILT sr20 setup... if you have the money you can get the SR performing up to ka-power levels and still have the lightness etc

www.ka-t.org <-- great resource

Vehicle
    Yugo in rainbow colors
    In Japan there is no such thing as KA24DE in a 180sx. Stock motor comes with turbo, so why bother getting all the stuff done to the N\A engine? R33 gt-r turbo is real quick on a spool up, so I would throw one of those on an SR.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Ferriari
    I mean same turbo setup, like same size and all, just wondering how much would it put out, but there is a lot more things that effect how much would be put out other then just .4 liters.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    SRed S13 hatch.
    Jesus this isn't even a debate. As far as race car motors go the SR takes the cake, eats it' and then poops it out on the KA. You can build a more powerful KA with 5k than an SR with 5k? Doubtful even if you could you'd be forcing a truck motor to spin faster than it wants to under conditions it wasn't built for. Reliability is a huge factor if you like to go fast and a big numbers SR is a lot more reliable motor than a KA with the same power. Unless your talking built bottom ends in which case, full race builds really don't have anything to do with the stock motor anyway. But even to that extend the SR is the winner. The intake ports, rod/stroke ratio, valve size/material used, and many other factors were all designed around optimizing the motor for performance, the SR head flows as well or better than any competitor. Honda's biggest advantage is their B-series head flow characteristics and SRs can flow just as well. KAs have small ports, long runners, and badly designed valve trains all in the interest of bottom end torque to get a truck with a load up a hill as efficiently as possilbe. If Nissan intended the KA to be a performance motor it wouldn't have been a 2.4 with more stoke than most Harley's that's for certain. You can improve, but you can't make a bad head a good one. And, the stroke of the KA was not mean't for the extended high-RPM abuse that a sports car engine demands.

Is the KA a bad motor? Shit no, don't get me wrong it serves it's funtion exceptionally and I'm all for people turboing them and building them up. Working with what you have is and making somethig from nothing is an admirable thing to do. But in the long run you are talking abour a motor that wasn't designed to do what your asking it to do.

Vehicle
    THE Teal Tiger S13!
    ok next question how does the KA-T do drifting wise?

and i herd the sr is only somthin like 3 pounds lighter than the ka

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    S13 240SX
    there isn't that much of a weight difference between the two ....when sportcompact car did their swap (they did it on an 89 coupe, so it used a KA24E), they weighed both engines with trannies attached. the sr motor and tranny weighed 490lbs and the KA24E and tranny weighed 493lbs. i'm sure that the KA24DE motor weighs more than the single cam motor, but i dont know how much. but i'll tell you something, 3 pounds isn't going to make a significant difference.

SR's RULE !!!!

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Ferriari
    i am not sure the difference, but the sr does give better balance, as it sits further back.

Vehicle
    s13
    its quite simple... from teh factory stock turbo (internals etc built for FI) engine compared to a modified NA engine to turbo. that didnt make sense. but anyways what im saying is that anything from the factory that is already done is better than adding that part onto an engine without it.

it comes down to reliability, efficiency and response. Its like factory tuned... SR oooooooowns the ka.

oh btw, the ka sucks asshole. its soo unrefined. drives and sounds like crap. ill never understand how people keep the ka and actually worship it. i mean, its ok if you modify it and try to get some performance out of it cause sr can be expensive. but man.... if you are gonna spend 5000 on your engine. ---- it. just buy an s14 black top.

KA sound: "peke peke peke peke peke peke" <---reving soo high but going nowhere

SR sound: "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRR psssssssssshhhh BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR pshhhh BRRRRRRRR" <---- reving the shit out of it and going so fast

knaw i mean?

Vehicle
    S13 240SX hatch
    There must be some rule out there that says "after you turn 16 and buy a bone stock 15 year old 240, go to a nissan site and post 'what motor is better? SR or KA-T?' then watch the forum implode"

All the mods must have started their christmas cheer a little early, usually they nip threads like this in the bud.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    Ferriari
    Yeah, I know. HAHA, it is so much fun, I would bet money, that everything on this has been said atleast 10 times in NWN life, with threads like this, and probably when threads go off topic, like this too. But hey, it is fun .

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast