Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Thread: ECU Tuning for Dummies

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    S14A SE

ECU Tuning for Dummies

I was wondering if anybody has some really good information they could share with me on learning the basics on how to reprogram your ECU. I would like to learn how to fine tune my ecu for a ka24de. I know there are programs out there that I can pick up but I hate the fact that you have to pay $600-1000 to get a modified ECU. Or buy from JWT that really doesnít have an aggressive program as I would like. Thanks again.

P.S. Sorry if I'm not using the correct verbage "Told you I did't know shit about this"

New Guy

Vehicle
    White S14
    Perhaps someone will tell me im wrong but the full scope of engine tuning/management is not for the inexperienced.

There are inexpensive management devices out there, eg. megasquirt. If I were dedicated to the self-tuning thing, I would put together a collage of such devices and wire them in as I get them.

Otherwise AEM EMS if you have some dough!
    Drive Safely!

Vehicle
    Multiple Ss

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    S14A SE
    Mike maybe it's not for the inexperienced but I think I'm capable of at least learning the basics. I can at least get the concept of how it works. If I got my degree in Mechanical Engineering I think I can get this. Thanks for tip 2ndmoto.

Vehicle
    1990 S13
    What about "Superchips" it is kinda pricy at $400.00 but I hear it's pretty good for the money you pay. I don't claim to know anything... but I do watch horsepower TV a lot.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    S13
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting spaz
    What about "Superchips" it is kinda pricy at $400.00 but I hear it's pretty good for the money you pay. I don't claim to know anything... but I do watch horsepower TV a lot.
    that was kinda random

http://eccs.hybridka.com/ i think that is deviouska's forum. it might help some.

Vehicle
    1990 S13
    Quote Originally Posted by 240DRFT
    that was kinda random

http://eccs.hybridka.com/ i think that is deviouska's forum. it might help some.
    Well... I do what I can.

Vehicle
    91 s13 240sx
    I think you should talk with some of the more local electronics guys. Most of the time it means you have to burn new values into the ecu. Probably also means that you need a dyno to help tune the sucker. So really 600$ for a JWT ecu isnt that bad. There is another ecu coming up in here don nimi has been using erich (he is on nwn btw) prototype. Erich is one of the smartest guys up here when it comes to electronics.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
    -Mario Andretti-

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    97 Camaro Z28
    what about a safc???

safc is piggy back

You're gonna spend over 600-1000 to tune this. Don and PDM, which most people on this forum know he basically eat and drink 240sx 24/7. He's been spending like 3 years working on the retuned smart ECU or something of his. If someone with Don's knowledge on the KA24de is taking 3 years or so to do it, someone with very basic knowledge is not going to get anything done. Not hitting on ya or anything, but you're looking to do something very very out of your range if you have to ask about it.

Now for something helpful,
    http://www.megasquirt.info/

ASSEMBLY REQUIRED
    for about under 250bux usd, or as low as 140bux, you can have what you want on tuning your own ECU. But if this is giving you a headache reading the site, which i'm guessing it should be. hehehe. I highly suggest forgetting the idea about retuning it and just go with standalone. Btw, don't ask me any question about megasquirt. I dont have it. I just skim through it and foud it to be too much electronic work then i wanna be doing. So i just went with microtech since i found a good deal.

edit: just read your thing about you admiting to be a new guy and all. ya i suggest forgetting about this retuning the ecu. no such thing as ecu tuning for dummies. it's like really out of your league, hehe. don't take that offensively though.

Club Guest
    Vehicle
    S14A SE
    Hey thanks everybody your right I am way out of my league. Iíve been going over the information that has been presented on this tread and spoke to a few friends that tune cars professionally. They said you really have to have in depth knowledge even before you custom tune your engine management system. How ever I think I'll take a class on how to do it and go buy plug and play ECU. Thanks

Vehicle
    Multiple Ss

Vehicle
    91 galant vr4, 90 pathfinder 5 spd
    if you think you want to learn, open up AEM's software for any of the AEMS ECU's. jesus christ, i was ready for a nap after just playing with it for 10 minutes.

Vehicle
    RPS13