Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Thread: Seattle Shops vs Spokane Shops

Club Guest

Seattle Shops vs Spokane Shops

Seattle Shops vs Spokane Shops

all i have to say is Garage SPL rules!!! i talked to Alex from there regarding an SR20 Blacktop into a 95 S14. he not only quoted me a lower price for the motor, but told me he can get 350 RWHP for the price i was looking at spending. very helpful and nice guy.

conversly, the Spokane shops are either idiots are weenys. i use to do shop reviews for nwstreetracing.com when it was still up and running. i would have flunked everyone of them. two shops had no clue what an S14 was or even what an SR20 was. one shop said "that's the motor that guy said on the Fast and the Furious." another shop that i thought would do it can't for insurance liability reason. one shop said they can get me the motor for $4000 (redtop.) i just laughed. so it looks like Garage SPL it is.

so whats the ball park figure for the SPL guys ?

Vehicle
    S13
    how much are you looking to spend for $350hp?

Club Guest
    $4-$4.5K for a black top SR20, intercooloer, piping, ecu install, injectors, pump, gauges, boost controller, ect, and install. he said the few projects they've been working on can hit 325 RWHP with a few extra bolt ons so he is hoping for 350 RWHP. i'm figuring a little more for an Apexi S-AFC or maybe Techtom, but no fuel management system is needed until i hit 400 or 450.

Club Guest
    Hahaha..I know what you mean. Most shops in Spokane will know next to nothing about the real import scene. The majority of them....are rice....sell rice....and drive rice. I remember them quoting my friend a front bumper for like $200 dollars more than some of the highest prices around. Not only that....all the merchandise in the store was rice...."neon glowing rice" to be exact.

- Hksauce

honestly, u cant judge a shop base on its geographic location. its either that you didn't goto the right shop or just SPL was just exceptional.

Club Guest
    Alex you are absolutly right! Geographical location has nothing to do with the quality of race shops, and I never said that. I've seen a few good shops around, but they didn't last. One shop that was decent was Mo Speed(fake spokane mo-speed), they knew what they were talkin about. They were a little cocky though, and ended up doing some major no-no's. 1320 would have been a good one, but they never got their shop up and running. Other than those two, there is nothing. If you don't wanna spend 3.99 renting the fast and the furious, than come to Spokane this summer haha..you'll see the effect of this movie on our little city.

- Hksauce

Garage SPL is a great shop. When I went in there a couple years ago, and rattled off my engine code, I was surprised when Alex started to tell me all the things we could do. Almost every other shop would look at me like I was crazy when I would tell them my engine code.
    I've always walked away from that shop with a smile on my face.

Vehicle
    which one?
    Originally posted by Hksauce
    Hahaha..I know what you mean. Most shops in Spokane will know next to nothing about the real import scene. The majority of them....are rice....sell rice....and drive rice. I remember them quoting my friend a front bumper for like $200 dollars more than some of the highest prices around. Not only that....all the merchandise in the store was rice...."neon glowing rice" to be exact.

- Hksauce
    hahaha, sounds like you're talkin about that Auto Xtras place at Northtown hehee

Club Guest
    Originally posted by Yoshi
    hahaha, sounds like you're talkin about that Auto Xtras place at Northtown hehee
    auto xtras is a joke. they say the closest they do to performance are intakes and mufflers. all they have is rice.

motortrendz thinks they can do performance, but i've seen the results from their shop and its not all that.

the vw shop in the valley can kiss my yellow @$$

the only good shop was PWT. that place had the guys that knew what they were doing and were the only spokane shop i would even let look into my car.

$4-$4.5 is a great price for all you're getting. Shoot that's a good price for the motor, intercooler, and boost controller alone...plus you're getting the pump, various other pieces and install...good job man! I love Garage SPL...

Vehicle
    which one?
    Originally posted by SuperAsian
    auto xtras is a joke. they say the closest they do to performance are intakes and mufflers. all they have is rice.

motortrendz thinks they can do performance, but i've seen the results from their shop and its not all that.

the vw shop in the valley can kiss my yellow @$$

the only good shop was PWT. that place had the guys that knew what they were doing and were the only spokane shop i would even let look into my car.
    Where and what is PWT?
    I haven't heard of that one...

Club Guest
    Originally posted by Yoshi
    Where and what is PWT?
    I haven't heard of that one...
    they use to to be down on hamilton. they closed down after an issue with this guy's 2.5 RS. he wanted them to install an STi motor in his 98 or 99 2.5 RS. they did. he decided to crank up the boost to 20 PSI and blew his bottom end. he sued PWT for a faulty install when he was the one who was trying to boost too much.

drift: so you think this is all a good deal?

UPDATE***i found another guy who does swaps and has a buddy on the coast who imports motors on a regular basis. off the top of his head, he said a red top will be under $1000 for me since i hooked him up with stuff from my store. $500 to $800 install. that's the cost of a redtop alone from SPL. now i just have to see what kind of work they can do.