Remove these ads,
become a Club Member

Thread: S15 engine w/ S14 tranny wanna upgrade turbo

S15 engine w/ S14 tranny wanna upgrade turbo

Whats up guys its the new guy from New York so what do you guys think i wanna drop in a S15 engine w/ S14 tranny but i also want to upgrade the turbo might as well go all out when i put it in correct so what do you guys think of my engine swap and what turbo upgrade should i go with...or do you guys think i should go a totally different route????????????:pulpficti

why the S15? for the pimpin factor? for the 247HP vs 203HP(S13) or 227HP (S14)? for the extra 20ish HP, the $$$ ain't worth it... thats a new improved turbo for you....

if you have the cash, i would say do it up.... only problem is, you can get an S14 engine/tranny cheaper than the S15 engine setup PLUS you still need the S14 tranny....

as well, the S15 electrical is much different than the S13/14 electrical... from all i have heard, the difference in wiring is substantial enough to cause many shops to shy away from doing this swap...

personally, here is what i would do.....
    -get an S14 engine (you still get VTC) and its still a newer engine
    -upgrade the turbo based on your desires (something like a Garrett T3/4 hybrid could work for good power and not a lot of turbo lag)

Club Guest
    if you're thinking of using or swaping in the s15 tranny then it might be worth it...6spd...hmmm....if not....s14 would be a more economical....

Club Guest
    Originally posted by oBsErvER
    if you're thinking of using or swaping in the s15 tranny then it might be worth it...6spd...hmmm....if not....s14 would be a more economical....
    I might be wrong but if thats all you want you should just buy a nice Nismo 6 speed tranny and bolt to your SR13 or SR14? It would be cheaper then going and buying the S15 SR with 6 speed? Just a thought

Orrin
    Last edited by darknight; 03-03-2002 at 05:36 PM.

just ta let ya guys know, (if u haven't heard already) the combination of s15 engine/s14tranny is used on some of the s15's in japan.
    people swap out the 6 spd cuz the 5 spd in the s14's are supposedly stronger cuz the gears are bigger than the 6 spd's so they can take more of a beating.

According to driftmunky i heard the same thing thats why i asked if you people thinks it a good idea. So i think i might go with the S15 engine witt 14 tranny but my car is in the shop now anywayz im getting the S15 front end put on and a little extra stuff!!!:pulpficti

yup.. i've heard that as well... heck even the few people over here that have the S15 engine try to get their hands on the S14 tranny due to the strength of the 5spd...

like i said before, if you have a reputable shop and lots of cash, go wild and let us all know how it goes... but with the complexity of the S15 wiring, finding a good shop is gonna be the hardest part...

regardless, keep us posted, k?